This is an obsession for many of us.
Pilot season comes and goes and we think - maybe next year...but next year we are a little older, more worn, more wrinkles, and we start to dismay.
We are so convinced it is all staked against us that no matter what age we are, we concoct stories that we are the "wrong" age and collect evidence to prove it.
I remember being in my twenties and being in total dead zone for several years. I was too "wise" and too much of an old soul to play early twenties but I didn;t look old enough to play moms yet. Dead zone.
Of course the second I aged into my 30's it began to look like all the 20-somethings were back in. Or a new trend is 40-somethings. So wherever we are, we are always convinced the industry is somewhere else.
The TRUTH is, wherever YOU are, is where YOU need to be. You don't need an industry or romantic partner to be where you are. YOU just need to be there. Owning it. Expressing yourself as fully as you can. Exactly as you are.
If you are convinced the target is always moving, you will never hit it.
If you are convinced it is all conspiring against you, it will.
If you surrender into the gifts that could be available to you RIGHT NOW as you are, exactly in this moment in time, you may see those expand. You will be more visible once you, yourself begin noticing you.
I hear all the time people say they wish they had started in this business younger, or not taken time off from the industry etc.
These all look like valid perceptions but they are illusions just like any other perception that does;t serve your truth.
You can take on ANY perspective YOU want, so how about one of these...
"Well yes I did start later, but I also started wiser"
"I took time off to be more of a human being, now I have more to offer"
"I am only just starting and how GREAT, I have less to undo!"
"My age is so ideal for all the stories I am ideal for telling. What a gift."
Your OM WORK this week is to write your own.
Tell us your false perception and tell us your new and improved one.
Stand for it.
Live it all week.
See what shifts when you do.
You will probably look younger :)
And if you are still fixated on age actually being a thing....
Don't take it from me....
Take it from these gurus....
1) Helen Keller, at the age of 19 months, became deaf and blind. But that didn’t stop her. She was the first deaf and blind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree.
2) Mozart was already competent on keyboard and violin; he composed from the age of 5.
3) Shirley Temple was 6 when she became a movie star on “Bright Eyes.”
4) Anne Frank was 12 when she wrote the diary of Anne Frank.
5) Magnus Carlsen became a chess Grandmaster at the age of 13.
6) Nadia Comăneci was a gymnast from Romania that scored seven perfect 10.0 and won three gold medals at the Olympics at age 14.
7) Tenzin Gyatso was formally recognized as the 14th Dalai Lama in November 1950, at the age of 15.
8) Pele, a soccer superstar, was 17 years old when he won the world cup in 1958 with Brazil.
9) Elvis was a superstar by age 19.
10) John Lennon was 20 years and Paul Mcartney was 18 when the Beatles had their first concert in 1961.
11) Jesse Owens was 22 when he won 4 gold medals in Berlin 1936.
12) Beethoven was a piano virtuoso by age 23
13) Issac Newton wrote Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica at age 24
14) Roger Bannister was 25 when he broke the 4 minute mile record
15) Albert Einstein was 26 when he wrote the theory of relativity
16) Lance E. Armstrong was 27 when he won the tour de France
17) Michelangelo created two of the greatest sculptures “David” and “Pieta” by age 28
18) Alexander the Great, by age 29, had created one of the largest empires of the ancient world
19) J.K. Rowling was 30 years old when she finished the first manuscript of Harry Potter
20) Amelia Earhart was 31 years old when she became the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean
21) Oprah was 32 when she started her talk show, which has become the highest-rated program of its kind
22) Edmund Hillary was 33 when he became the first man to reach Mount Everest
23) Martin Luther King Jr. was 34 when he wrote the speech “I Have a Dream."
24) Marie Curie was 35 years old when she got nominated for a Nobel Prize in Physics
25) The Wright brothers, Orville (32) and Wilbur (36) invented and built the world's first successful airplane and making the first controlled, powered and sustained heavier-than-air human flight
26) Vincent Van Gogh was 37 when he died virtually unknown, yet his paintings today are worth millions.
27) Neil Armstrong was 38 when he became the first man to set foot on the moon.
28) Mark Twain was 40 when he wrote "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", and 49 years old when he wrote "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn"
29) Christopher Columbus was 41 when he discovered the Americas
30) Rosa Parks was 42 when she refused to obey the bus driver’s order to give up her seat to make room for a white passenger
31) John F. Kennedy was 43 years old when he became President of the United States
32) Henry Ford Was 45 when the Ford T came out.
33) Suzanne Collins was 46 when she wrote "The Hunger Games"
34) Charles Darwin was 50 years old when his book On the Origin of Species came out.
35) Leonardo Da Vinci was 51 years old when he painted the Mona Lisa.
36) Abraham Lincoln was 52 when he became president.
37) Ray Kroc Was 53 when he bought the McDonalds Franchise and took it to unprecedented levels.
38) Dr. Seuss was 54 when he wrote "The Cat in the Hat".
40) Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III was 57 years old when he successfully ditched US Airways Flight 1549 in the Hudson River in 2009. All of the 155 passengers aboard the aircraft survived
41) Colonel Harland Sanders was 61 when he started the KFC Franchise
42) J.R.R Tolkien was 62 when the Lord of the Ring books came out
43) Ronald Reagan was 69 when he became President of the US
44) Jack Lalane at age 70 handcuffed, shackled, towed 70 rowboats
45) Nelson Mandela was 76 when he became President”
Happy OM WORK,