By Jennifer Rudolph
When David Carranza graduated from the William Esper Studio several years ago, he knew he was in need of fertile ground to plant his roots. David wanted to start applying what he knew to the world of film & television, to hone his on-camera audition technique and to start forging relationships with the industry's key players. After going to other networking companies, David started coming to The Actor's Green Room.
David was a seeker. He wanted guidance. He took a class of mine that I was co-teaching at the time and he was solid. When we sat down for a Career Consultation I noticed that David had a little bit of a chip on his shoulder. He had been trying to break into the business for years and when you're beating your head against a wall time and again it can get frustrating hence why he came off as he did. He said "I've worked with casting directors. Nothing has happened. I'm still in the same place." I told him I understood how he felt but that things were going to change. There was something to work with here and we were going to figure out his way in. So it began.
David and I mapped out a trajectory. We fixed up his resume, I told him what kind of headshot to aspire to and what we were trying to sell and told him what scenes to use to sell it. I gave him a list of casting directors to work with and learn from (again since he had a whole new package). He needed to create relationships with the industry - memorable ones - under the right hood. David was getting a great response from the casting directors. They loved his work. He was fantastic at taking direction and came to class already hitting "the bar" where a working actor needs to be. David had a solid product and was marketing himself optimally. He had strong relationships with casting directors at this point. His resume was still virtually empty but things were about to change.
I was hanging out with Christopher Silvieri from Prestige Management one afternoon and he mentioned that he was looking for guys that were David's type. I mentioned David to him and said "although he doesn't have credits, he is ready to book and has relationships with all of the casting directors." Having those relationships in place is one of the biggest selling tools an actor can come to the table with when looking for representation. Why? Because a manager is contracted to do 15% of the work so the actor must do the other 85% which means having key relationships in place already that facilitate with the manager's job. With David it was an easy pitch. He was ready to go and had everything in place. He just needed someone to push.
After meeting him, Christopher signed David. This was in February 2013.
Right around the time David signed, he got flown to L.A. to test for the lead in an indie film called THE FRAME. David booked the role. While awaiting THE FRAME shoot (which would be in May in Denver), David started auditioning for lots of pilots. He left to shoot THE FRAME and then was back in action for episodic season in the fall. David booked a Co-Star no HBO's GIRLS that September. Next, David booked a Guest Star role on BLUE BLOODS. Next, David booked a Recurring Guest Star role on NBC's THE BLACKLIST. In 2014, David signed with Innovative Artists for commercials and booked spots for Comcast, Birchbox, and Starwood. Next, David booked Guest Star role on CBS's PERSON OF INTEREST and THE UNTITLED WALL STREET PROJECT for CBS starring John Cusack. Next, David booked a role on MTV'd EYE CANDY. This year so far, David booked a Guest Star role on CBS's ELEMENTARY and a Guest Star role on FOX's THE FOLLOWING. There are many more exciting things in the works.
"I have been to just about all the networking places available in NYC for years. Some of them don't have standards and don't provide a quality atmosphere to be taken seriously and do great work. The Actor's Green Room is the exception. Working with Jen and AGR helped me really understand my strengths and helped me grow in almost all areas of my career. Because of that I have been booking consistently for years." - AGR'r David Carranza
Nothing is arbitrary. Everything has to be deliberate. There is always an answer to why you haven't gotten to where you want to go yet. We help you find it...and then we execute it.
About the Author