By: Jennifer Rudolph
When breaking into the industry, it is crucial to know who you are and what you are selling. Any business person will tell you that packaging is a big part of the sell and knowing where you fit into the marketplace is another one. Since acting IS a business at the end of the day, the actors who mold themselves to appeal to their collective audience and make themselves viable are the ones who end up working.
Meet AGR'r Kris Dempsey (left). Kris came to meet with me for a Career Consultation last year. Kris was already signed with a manager but felt like she needed to map up a clearer trajectory and get clarity around how the industry saw her and what she was selling. A manager's job is to help 15% (as that is what they get paid). It was Kris' job to do the other 85% paving the way for her manager to be effective. We sat down together and analyzed what she was putting out there. I told her the "type" that she needed to market, what casting directors to get in front of, gave her clear cut sides that were written to sell and off she went. Kris got great feedback from the casting directors she started meeting.
Kris emailed me:
"Jen, I'm in love with your studio. I had done another studio when I first came to New York about 8 months ago not knowing about AGR and was actually directed to your studio by a fellow attendee after asking if this was all that was available to me as an actor. With the ability to pick my own sides that really showcase my talent and type... it's an unstoppable combination."
Quick statistic: Over 1500 actors are submitted for a Guest Star role that comes out on Breakdowns. Only 10-20 are called in. That is less than 1%. Before Kris and I met she could not get in the door. Kris just booked a Guest Star role on ABC's FOREVER which airs tonight at 10PM. She plays "Lily." The secret? Packaging, relationships, marketability and the talent to match.
Meet AGR'r Victor Joel Ortiz (right). Victor came to AGR unrepresented 2 years ago but had all the elements to snag the attention of a manager. He had a few credits under his belt, a killer headshot and was a very strong, marketable type. Victor came to our Manager Night 2 years ago and signed with Christopher Silvieri from Prestige Management. Since signing with Christopher, Victor has booked roles on the episodics POWER, PERSON OF INTEREST, THE UNBREAKABLE KIMMIE SCHMIDT, ALLEGIANCE, THE BLACKLIST and tonight Victor Guest Stars on ABC's FOREVER alongside Kris Dempsey.
It doesn't have to take "Forever." Fast track your career by taking control of it and being the CEO of your own destiny.
About the Author